End of Trial Two to the Present

February, 1881
Michael Feeheley dies and his family loses their farm. The new owner promises the Feeheleys $500, but no aid is given. The Donnellys befriend sons James and Michael Feeheley, despite the actions of the Feeheleys on the night of the murders. James confesses to Patrick Donnelly, but he is afraid of the Vigilance Committee.

March, 1881
The Vigilance Committee meets at the Cedar Swamp Schoolhouse to plan a fund-raising campaign for the accused.

April, 1881
James and Michael Feeheley flee to Michigan.

September, 1881
The Feehelys, after being extradited to Canada, are charged with aiding and abetting the murder of Thomas Donnelly. Their trial, however, is delayed. The Crown agrees to set them free on bail, and the Vigilance Committee provides the bail money. After this, the Feeheleys refuse to testify against anyone, thus ending the chance of a third trial.

October, 1881
Francis West, a private detective who had originally worked for the surviving Donnellys, attempts to burn down the Stanley-Dight grist mill. He claims William and Robert Donnelly burned down the mill. They are acquitted.

William Donnelly goes to Ohio to work in the coal mines. Patrick remains in the wagon making business. Robert and Jennie are in Glencoe. Robert owns a hauling business and Jennie is married to James Currie, a constable.

William returns home and joins Jennie and Robert in Glencoe. William decides to become a constable, like his brother-in-law.

Robert is charged with assault after he catches someone stealing his geese. He is embroiled in other fights, etc. as well.

The Salvation Army comes to Glencoe. Robert Donnelly does not like their methods of worship and behaviour. The barracks of the Salvation Army are burned and Robert is implicated. Charles Hutchinson, their former friend and ally, turns his back on the Donnellys.

Edward Blackwell and Robert Donnelly continue to harass the Salvation Army, making William’s position as constable very difficult.

William resigns as constable and moves to Appin to open a hotel.

A large monument to commemorate the Donnellys is raised in St. Patrick’s Cemetery.

Father John Connolly, the man who had inspired much hatred towards the Donnellys, leaves Biddulph.

William Donnelly dies of natural causes. Before his death he points out that many members of the Vigilance Committee have suffered terrible deaths.

Robert Donnelly is admitted to the London Psychiatric Hospital.

Robert Donnelly dies of natural causes.

Patrick Donnelly dies in Thorold of natural causes.

Jennie Donnelly, the last member of the immediate Donnelly family, is laid to rest in Wardsville.

Early to Mid 1900s
The murder of the Donnelly family receives little attention. Many choose not to discuss the events.

Thomas Kelley publishes The Black Donnellys , which sparks interest in the Donnelly murders. The book is sensationalistic and not very factual. It paints the Donnellys as violent murderers who deserved their fate.

Orlo Miller publishes The Donnellys Must Die , which is far more sympathetic to the Donnellys.

The recent books about the Donnelly murders arouse unwanted attention in the St. Patrick’s Cemetery where the Donnellys and many members of the Vigilance Committee are buried. The large monument with the word “Murdered” is replaced with a smaller tombstone.

Ray Fazakas publishes The Donnelly Album and William Davison Butt completes his Ph.D. dissertation entitled “The Donnellys: History, Legend, Literature.” Both are far more factual, detailed accounts of the murders than prior books.

1980s to Present
Interest in the Donnelly murders remains high. J. Robert Salts moves into the Donnelly homestead and begins offering tours. The Donnellys are remembered in numerous ways such as plays by James Reaney, television shows, newspaper articles, etc.

The Lucan Area Heritage & Donnelly Museum announces a new Donnelly Museum will be constructed. The History Channel airs a documentary on the Donnelly murders. Though gone, the Donnellys are not forgotten.