We do not know his name: Klatsassin and the Chilcotin War

About this source

Waddington to Colonial Secretary of British Columbia

New Westminster June 9th 1864

To the Colonial Secretary of British Columbia


I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 3d Inst. informing me that His Excellency declines accepting my proposal for the surrender of my rights on the Bute Inlet Road.

I remain therefore under the obligation of continuing the work myself, and either carrying it out immediately by getting up a fresh expedition after the massacre and annihilation of the last one, or of suspending operations for an indefinite period. In the latter case my loss will be doubly [illegible] as explained in my letter of the 28th Ultimo.

I mentioned in that letter that I have a considerable stock of tools, provisions, mules & with two men attending them at Bute Inlet, and as I must now come to a final decision and remove there in case I am forced to suspend the enterprise, I would beg to know:

1. Whether the Government would be willing to afford me any protection, say with men, arms, or ammunition, in order to continue the works immediately.

2. Whether the Government is of opinion that I could safely do so without such protection.

3. And if not, whether any definite period could be named me for the probable resumption of the work this season.

4. If not asking too much, I should like to be informed whether it be the intention of His Excellency, that any indemnity be allowed me for the cruel and unmerited annihilation of an enterprise commenced and steadfastly carried on for the good of the country, and under a regular agreement with the Government, which was bound to protect me, and neglected to do so.

I remain
Your most Obedt. Humble Servant

Alfred Waddington

Source: BCA, Colonial Correspondence, GR-1372, F1809, Mflm B-1372, Alfred Waddington, Letter to the Colonial Secretary of British Columbia, June 9, 1864.

Return to parent page

Great Unsolved Mysteries in Canadian History