The widow J. J. Redpath and her son Mr. Clifford Redpath, a student at McGill, were both found lying in a pool of blood

The mother died at home and the son was taken to Victoria Hospital, where he breathed his last

A very sad event occurred yesterday afternoon at number 1065 Sherbrooke Street, resulting in the death of two people: Mrs. J. J. Redpath and her young son J. C. Redpath. Mr. Redpath had been suffering from ill health for some time, but nonetheless he was preparing for his law exams. Mr. Redpath had overtaxed himself to such an extent that he fell ill of a nervous affection. It appears that he was in a state of deep mental depression that morning, which worsened as the afternoon wore on. At around 5 o’clock, he fired several shots with a revolver, killing his mother instantly and fatally wounding himself.

Surprised by the sound of shots, the family immediately ran into the room and found the mother dying and the brother fatally wounded. Mr. Redpath was taken by ambulance to Victoria Hospital as quickly as possible. On arriving at the hospital he was cared for by Dr. Bell, in the absence of Dr. Roddick, the family doctor. But notwithstanding all of the resources of science the young man did not regain consciousness, so it was impossible to obtain any explanation from him. He died at around eleven-thirty that night.

This morning, Dr. Roddick, interviewed upon his return from Toronto, showed himself to be very distressed by the tragedy that has hit a family he has known for so long. Knowing the young man’s constitution perfectly, that he was subject to epilepsy, that he had long been suffering from insomnia, and that despite his nervous constitution he had been working hard to prepare for his law exams, all while having to support his invalid mother, he was not surprised that he had taken leave of his senses.

But neither the doctor nor anyone else who knew the young man can believe that he would have committed this crime while in his right mind.

Naturally, in the absence of eye witnesses, there is some doubt as to whether the first shot was accidental or not. Certainly his tender and constant concern for his mother during the months of her illness indicates the real attitude of the young man toward his mother.

Mr. Clifford Redpath had for some time been with the firm of Mr. Campbell, Mr. Meredith, Mr. Allan and Mr. Hague.

The inquest will begin this afternoon at three-thirty. The funeral will be a strictly private affair.

Source: Unknown, "Blood-Soaked High-Life Tragedy," La Presse, June 14, 1901. Notes:

Return to parent page